Ants For Sale
(WE NOW BUY ANTS ON A VERY LIMITED BASIS. WE DO NOT BUY SMALL ANT SPECIES WITH ONLY A FEW EXCEPTIONS. IF YOU KNOW YOU CAN COLLECT SPECIES IN 2023 IN THE U.S. CONTACT US TO DISCUSS VIA EMAIL AT email@example.com). WE WILL NEED TIME TO AQUIRE PERMITS SO ADVANCE NOTICE OF INTEREST IN COLLECTING ANTS FOR US IS HELPFUL.)
Formica subsericea (Ready)
Myrmecocystus mexicanus (Sold Out-Not expecting more in 2022)
Myrmecocystus mimicus (Ready)
Notes: Range from 10-30 workers (Order quantities (10-15) (20-25) or (30+)), plenty of brood and some small repletes. Shipping only to native range, email us for more information about our permits. Email orders only currently. Valid States: Texas, Colorado, California, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas.
Pogonomyrmex barbatus (Ready)
Notes: Range from 30-70 workers, plenty of brood and some small repletes. Shipping only to native range, email us for more information about our permits. Packages Available Now, (Click Here To Browse Packages)
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (Ready)
Shipping Available to all lower 48 states except Florida. Colony sizes range from 20-300+. Inquire with us via email for larger colony sizes above the packages on our Ants For Sale Pages. California residents must fill out small questionnaire with the California Department of Agriculture. (Click Here To Browse Packages).
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (Email for availability)
Camponotus castaneus (Ready)
Camponotus chromaiodes (Founding colonies will be available early June 2022)
*Above, Camponotus discolor (ID confirmed by Florida Department of Agriculture in April 2022)
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis remains the only ant species legal to ship across the lower 48 states state lines without a permit. (Florida excluded)
PLEASE NOTE: All Colonies on our website come with a queen and workers, and any workers from this queen are her workers (non-boosted) unless specifically stated otherwise. The queens and colonies sold are not boosted colonies.
More Information On Pogonomyrmex occidentalis:
*Photo By Alex Wild
Other recommended products with Pogonomyrmex occidentalis...
Watch Our newest video on Pogonomyrmex occidentalis here:
May 2022 Update:
We are updating all of the habitats and spaces in our front showroom. We expect to have this space available to the public once again in mid-summer 2022. Until that time, we are still doing appointment visits and curbside pickup as always. Please call 919-348 -3642.
1. Online ordering - PLEASE READ THE PRODUCT PAGES FOR ANTS CAREFULLY FOR THE LIST OF STATES WE CAN SHIP THEM TO. EACH SPECIES HAS A DIFFERENT RANGE OF LOCATIONS (U.S. States) WHERE WE CAN SHIP THEM. WHERE NECESSARY WE PROVIDE PERMITS WITH EACH SHIPMENT. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis does not require permits unless you live in California (Florida does not allow this species at all).
*For 2nd year colonies of Camponotus chromaiodes, we have obtained permits and have a very limited amount of these larger colonies are for sale. We have permits for these ants to ship to any state they are native to according to Antwiki.com. Contact us via email, supplies are very limited.
2. CURBSIDE PICKUP - We will take your order, move your ants into a habitat, pack them in a box along with any other accessories, and place them outside once you arrive for you to pickup outside the door. Call us or email us to arrange this service: 919-348-3642 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federal and state laws prohibit the transport of reproductive queens outside the state without a permit (except Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, noted above). We abide by all laws 100% and reserve the right to refuse this service to anyone should concerns arise. Proof of residence may be required. ****
Formica Pallidefulva - Available only for North Carolina residents - Email for prices and colony size. (3 Available).
Please read the rules of sales regarding these colonies below before contacting us.
Tar Heel Ants owner, Mack Pridgen, as part of Tar Heel Ants founded in 2012, has been involved in raising queen ants and researching new methods and habitats for over 11 years. We follow all state and federal regulations for the collection and sale of the colonies listed on these pages. Tar Heel Ants has also gone a step further to ensure that colonies and queens purchased are in the best condition possible and only sell thriving colonies and queens in good health.
Approval was received by the NC department of Agriculture for local sales and shipping (within North Carolina) in 2011. Since then we have been researching queen ant care and have developed our care regiment from our experiences raising local species. Our focus initially was on raising and caring for local species such, but has in the past several years expanded (with the changes from the USDA involving permits) to species across the U.S. We will be provide a maintenance and care sheet with your purchase.
1. Buyers must be 18 or have a parent or guardian approve the transaction.
2. Ants are only shipped where legal to do so. We will NOT ship ants if we suspect (due to weather forecasts or our own judgement) that the ants will not survive the transport!
3. NEW: You may pick ants up at our store in Raleigh, NC at 3209 Gresham Lake Rd. Unit 125 via curbside pickup. Please call to make an appointment 919-348-3642. Appointments only.
4. Buyers must follow all state and federal guidelines about transporting reproductive ants. This may vary from state to state. Once purchased, it is up to you to follow federal guidelines about transporting ants. In North Carolina it is not allowed to transport ants out of the state without a proper permit and it is also not allowed to bring ants into other states without permits as well. We provide permits when shipping ants out of state!
5. Never release captive colonies back into the wild. The main reason for this suggestion is to protect the intended natural environment (their natural home) from the introduction of harmful pathogens or pests that joined the colony during captivity (your house).
6. Ants must be cared for to the best of your ability. We are available for advice on care at email@example.com or by phone at 919-348-3642. We also have a YouTube channel and FAQ section on our website with additional information on raising ants as pets.
7. Fees for adopting are to cover time spent raising, storage, collecting, and for food expense during their time with us. In some cases the habitat of the colony will be included in the price. This detail will be included with the listing under each colony.