What makes the a Nucleus formicarium unique?
The Nucleus is a double-sided formicarium from Tar Heel Ants. The Nucleus formicaria have a number of features that make them different than other formicaria products. Features such as a two-sided nest, removable glass panels on both sides, substrate-coated chambers, nestmates watering system and water towers, magnetically detachable foraging area, and professionally carved Ytong nest make the Nucleus unique. This nest is recommended for all species and sizes of ants. If you feel you have ants that need specialized habitats please contact us for a discussion on modifications at email@example.com.
- Nest Block Size 6x10x8 inches (150 mm x 250 mm x 200 mm)
- Foreaging Area Size 6x8x5 inches (150mm x 200mm x 125mm) OR 6x10x7 (150mm x 250mm x 175mm) Museum Grade Foraging Area
- Opposite sides connected by central access tunnel
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- Magnetically removable foraging area
4 Large Water Towers (Screen covered apparatus inside habitat for humidity)
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Optional: Glass Type (Standard or Museum Quality)
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Click here to find out.
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- Sand-coated chambers giving your ants multiple surfaces for the various stage of development.
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
- Painted Side Panels
- PVC Board Base
- Side Window (see photos and options) - this replaces interior tunnel and is covered in glass and gives ants access from one side to the other.
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
What comes in the box?
The Nucleus formicarium (including glass panels and magnets), stopper for 1/2" port, nestmate tubing (optional), syringe for hydration, round feeding dish, Nucleus Formicarium User Guide (NEW!), business card.
Watch these videos on the Nucleus (please use this product page for final specs as some of the video may visually relay outdated images):
Using natural dyes from the earth, Tar Heel Ants has developed a method of dying Ytong called "flash dying" that provides an even and consistent color to your nest.
Desert: Features a natural sand-coated foraging area with sparse desert style rocks and plants (artificial).
Desert Stones: Our uniquely casted and colored stones (100% ant-safe materials) inset into a foraging area with white and golden-brown mixed sand
Desert Mountain: NEW! Desert rocks, lots of them! Maybe a plant or two as well...
Rocky woodland: Woodland style plants with several rocks and sticks
Forest underbrush: Heavier on the plants(artifical) with 1-2 rocks.
Premium: Using high quality treated wood, decorative rocks, and other decor. Additional cost is due to higher quality materials and more time in preparation of the foraging area.
Standard Glass: Standard Frame Glass, 2.5 mm thick.
Museum Glass: Reduces reflection by over 95%. Achieves over 97% light transmission to enhance colors, brightness and contrast levels. 2.5mm thick.
Small, Medium, Large options. Decision should be based on intended species size.
Above: 4x8 Nucleus with 2 nestmates (tubing with stoppers) on either side
***Please NOTE! This formicarium, like all of our other formicaria, are hand-made-to-order. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicaria, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as possible. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Piece of Haven etc.) are shipped within 7-14 days (sometimes much sooner) while other larger formicaria such as the Pioneer and Pinnacle take 3-4 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest. If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of the expediting service and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this option.
The Nucleus has been the centerpiece for a Formica subsericea colony display in Raleigh, NC for over 2 years. Originally this habitat was in a 4x8 Nucleus and has now been moved to a Nucleus 360 formicarium. Head over to the Nucleus 360 page to see some of the colony videos and stop by the "teach me" store if you are ever in Raleigh, North Carolina to check out this maturing colony of ants.