Click here to view our Ready-Made Mini Hearths.
Use This Page To Customize Your Own
The Mini Hearth is a founding formicarium created by Tar Heel Ants. This founding habitat for ants is intended for all species and all sizes. With a refill time (hydration maintenance) of 3-4 weeks or longer this formicarium is ideal for beginners and experienced alike. A key feature of the Mini Hearth is the connection port located on the left side for future expansion and options for moving the colony when they outgrow their habitat.
There are many variations available for the Mini Hearth! These are to help house the many thousands of ant species around the world. Some variations include features commonly requested by users such as glow-in-the-dark features. This feature has no benefit (or negative effect) for the ants but is more for the users enjoyment. Other variations include:
Small Sized Chambers
- Stalactites (Now Optional)-NOTE: These do benefit some species that hang from the ceilings. Ants can be seen cleaning themselves while hanging upside-down, carrying food while those below feed, etc. Some ants, such as "honey pot" ants actually must have spacious chambers for their repletes to hang comfortably. The stalactites seemingly add this behavior. In the end the choice is yours as the user if you want to incorporate them into your Mini Hearth but we recommend examining the options for your potential inhabitants. As a user myself, I always incorporate stalactites in my own Mini Hearths.
- Double-Decker, also known as Bifurcated
- Modular (Now included in all Mini Hearths as a standard feature)
NEW - Expandable/Modular - Each short side of the Mini Hearth has magnets. These connect to other Mini Hearths with this feature. Multiple units can be connected together to form a larger formicarium. All Mini Hearths with this feature can be used In this way. Other Mini Hearths without this feature can be connected using 3/8" tubing to the modular Mini Hearths.
Removable glass - Museum Glass optional
- Detachable foraging area
- Large Water tower (15ml capacity)
- Optional Foraging Area Placement Side or Top Positioned (drop-down menu)
- Sand-coated interior chamber
- Golde-brown or White Sand optional for interior
- Painted exterior
- Stalagtite decor on chamber celing
- 3/8" Side connection port
- Foraging Area Decor Optional
- Nestmates Optional ( Watch nestmate video)
- Dimensions approximately 3.5" x 1.75" x 2"
The New Modular Mini Hearth Features Are Covered In The Following Video:
Watch this short video clip of a Solenopsis invicta colony in an old-style Mini Hearth that has outgrown formicarium...
What comes with a Mini Hearth?
Mini Hearth formicarium, stopper for connection port, blunt-tipped syringe for hydration and PDF user guide and instructions.
*Camponotus chromaiodes queen and her 1 year-old founding colony
****Each Mini Hearth takes 7-10 days (average) to complete before being shipped. We make everything to order, unless otherwise stated. Please note this time during our busy season can increase dramatically (up to 3 weeks sometimes). Please contact us at email@example.com for more details on completion and delivery times.