Atrium (Purple 64)
is back-ordered. We will ship it separately in 10 to 15 days.
*****Due to the size of the open chambers, this formicarium is considered a small to medium sized formicarium and can hold an estimated 1,000 to 2,000 medium sized ants, larger species such as Camponotus and Formica up to 1,000 (again, approximately). While it is quite possible some small species (Lasius spp.) will do quite well in the Atrium, estimating numbers would be quite high due to the design. This design is not intended for very small or tiny ants.*****
- Purple Color
- Premium Desert Stone Decor
- 2 nestmates
- 2 connection ports (3/8" and 1/2")
- 4 panels of glass
- Museum Glass Optional
**When comparing to other Tar Heel Ants formicaria, the Atrium is larger (available nest space) than the Casita and would be in between the Casita and Nucleus III in terms of nest space. The foraging space is equal to that of the Fortress and Casita. The Atrium has one 3/8" and one 1/2" port for expansion as a standard feature (additional ports available upon request)
Museum Glass - The museum glass would cover all three sides and the Alate Window (top panel) as well
Recommended Species Types -
All Medium and Large Ants (except ants that grow fungus farms) especially Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, "honey pot" ant species, and Camponotus spp. Each of these species would benefit from this nest design as follows (this is not an all-inclusive list):
- Honey Pot Ants - Spacious chambers that give repletes room to hang from the ceiling, yet not enough room for them to be harmed during a fall. This design is similar to our Hearth formicaria line in that regard.
- Pogonomymrex occidentalis - The upper level gives a dry area to store seeds. Connections between the two levels inside the formicarium nest are a sandy, rough texture. This is different than the smooth "ladders" in our other formicaria where these ants spend time "learning" to climb.
- Camponotus spp. - Larger ants typically, our colonies have always utilized the ceilings of formicaria to hang upside-down. This design provides two larger 4x4 caverns for this activity and 4 viewing sides to view these ants hanging from.