NOTE: If you need one of these formicaria shipped quickly and cannot wait for our staff to custom-make one to your own specifications (by using this page to select options) please check this link for Immediate Shipping Availability.
The Nucleus is a double-sided formicarium from Tar Heel Ants. The Nucleus formicaria have a number of features that make them different than other formicaria products. Features such as a two-sided nest, removable glass panels on both sides, substrate-coated chambers, nestmates watering system and water towers, magnetically detachable foraging area, and professionally carved Ytong nest make the Nucleus unique. This nest is recommended for all species and sizes of ants. If you feel you have ants that need specialized habitats please contact us for a discussion on modifications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nucleus II formicarium is made of our Type III material. The large water towers included in the Type III Nucleus require refilling on average every 3-4 weeks with fluctuations coming based on humidity conditions where the habitat is kept.
***We recommend species such as Messor spp., Pogonomyrmex spp., Solenopsis spp. along with others s be kept in Type II material formicaria due to their ability to damage formicaria.
Watch this short video for a colony tour in a Nucleus (Type II):
Nest "Levels" :
- For large species nest, 3 levels per side
- For medium species nest, 3 levels per side
- For tiny-small species nest, 4 levels per side
- Type III Material
- Nest Block Size 4x8x4 inches (100mm x 200mm x 100mm)
- Foreaging Area Size 4x8x4 inches (100mm x 200mm x 100mm)
- 3 Large Water Towers (2 one one side, 1 on other)
- Opposite sides connected by access tunnels (allows sectioning of this formicarium)
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- Magnetically removable foraging area
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Click here to find out.
- Choice of side panel color
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- Sand-coated chambers giving your ants multiple surfaces for the various stage of development.
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
What comes in the box?
The Nucleus formicarium , stoppers, nestmate tubing (optional), blunt-tip syringe for hydration, round feeding dish, Nucleus Formicarium User Guide are emailed upon request.
NEW: Canyon Foraging Area - (see photos below) - To bypass this option during ordering, please select "Standard Foraging Style". The canyon foraging area décor adds a second level of height to the foraging area. Feeding dishes can be placed on this raised area or on the lower area. The photos below depict two available styles, red or white sand. Décor option are either grassland or desert with sparse or heavy décor options available as well.
***Please NOTE! This formicarium, like all of our other formicaria, are hand-made-to-order. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicaria, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as we can but as volume of orders picks up during the busy seasons (November through January and May to August/September) we cannot meet our normal quoted shipping times. Please order in advance if possible to give us time to get your formicaria shipped in time to meet your needs. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Fortress etc.) are shipped within 7-14 business days (some much sooner!) while other larger formicaria such as the Nucleus, Pioneer and Pinnacle take 3-4 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest. If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of the expediting service and email us at email@example.com for more information about this option.