On Myrmecocystus mimicus can be sent to (permits included with shipment):
Arizona, California, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah
***Each Colony is shipped with a permit and a care sheet***
Myrmecocystus mimicus inhabits a wide range of habitats in their native range. They are most active in the daytime, and are scavengers. They are often seen visiting flowers and also tend aphids for their honeydew. Repletes show up early in the colony life-cycle, generally within the first 10-15 workers, with larger repletes coming later normally.
Out of the three personal colonies we have raised of this species Tar Heel Ants, two were raised in a Lair formicarium and one in a Mini Hearth. The Lair is currently our favorite "honey pot" formicarium in terms of visibility and close-ups during videos. The Mini Hearth formicarium from Tar Heel Ants is our most successful formicarium for honey pot ants over the years we have been in business since 2011. Both are well suited for colonies consisting only of a queen and brood or a queen with her first workers. On average, this formicarium will be sufficient in size for about a year, depending on the care provided.
We typically ship ants and bundles including ants on Monday, Tuesday and Saturdays with some exceptions.
We offer heat and ice pack options, so please use these if you expect them to be helpful to the safe arrival of your ant colony. We do check national and local temperatures prior to each shipment, and will contact you should there be need for further communication about your delivery due to weather complications. If temperatures are 90-110 Fahrenheit, ice packs will only help for a short time. Please plan ahead and setup notifications to your phone or email address with your tracking information we send to you upon completion of your order. Boxes left out in the sun with live ants should be brought inside as soon as possible. Ice and Heat packs are for protection DURING transit, not for protection once they are dropped off. We require you to plan for the ants to be brought inside within 30 minutes of their arrival if temperatures are below 40 Fahrenheit or above 80 Fahrenheit OR if they will be left in a sunny location.
The ants are shipped in a temporary shipping environment, meant to shield them from harsh conditions and prevent flooding. The humidity is kept constant during the shipment. The ants will need a new home (we offer bundles including ant habitats for these ants that include a formicarium) shortly after arrival, no later than one week after being shipped is our recommendation. If you cannot move them right away, keep them in a cooler area of your home (no heating during this time is needed) and also try to provide them a moist Q-tip or something similar to drink from. Call us for questions (919)348-3642 related to the care of your new ants.
Why We Think You Should Choose Tar Heel Ants For Your Ant Colony Purchases?
We keep a large amount of colonies and queens year round. We have over 12 years of experience with raising ant colonies from all over the U.S., as well as communicating with thousands of hobbyists and professionals during that time about ant care. Leaning on our experience on raising ants and through networking with others, we offer our own unique approach to selling ants colones:
- Always choose the best colony from the available colonies we have in stock.
- Ants are cared for and maintained in clean environments. We do not leave ants in dirty test tube habitats.
- Feeding schedule maintained on a daily basis.
- We ship ants safely and humanely in our genesis test tube habitats, under 6 layers of protection at minimum.
- We only ship queens with her first workers. The workers are an integral part of shipping, as they work to keep the brood safe during transit to your location.
How do I receive my order fast?
1. Go to the Ready To Ship pages, and look at the Mini Hearth Type III formicarium available at the top of that page.
2. When checking out, type in the model number in your checkout box (comments field), and we will ship this on the next shipping day for ants. These are usually Monday and Saturdays, but sometimes this changes due to weather.
3. If you choose a different model from this page that is above 37.99, please use the custom fees on the Accessories page to add the additional funds to the shopping cart. If you need assistance please call 919-348-3642 for help with ordering.
What comes with the purchase of a Mrymecocystus mimicus Queen and Colony Mini Hearth Bundle Package?
- Mini Hearth Formicarium
- Nestmate addition ($5 value- VERY important for these ants)
Queen, 1-5 workers, and brood. At this time (July 2023) brood piles consist of eggs, larvae, and pupae
- Test Tube Connector and tubing (optional) (For transfer of colony into Mini Hearth)
- Ants Shipped Inside Genesis Test Tube Insert For Protection During Shipping.
- Heat Packs or Ice Packs . (optional, please choose from options if you feel your location will require this for safe arrivial).
- Options Chosen During Checkout Can Alter The Included List
- Guaranteed Live arrival! Email us at email@example.com immediately after receiving your ants to report any problems with delivery! Please be ready to provide photo or video evidence of the problems so they can be used for improvement of shipping/handling the issues involved with your delivery.
Recommended Products Related to Myrmecocystus mimicus:
Recommended Accessories: Test Tube Adapater, 3/8" tubing, Featherweight Forceps, The Complete Ant Juice, Liquid Feeders. Heating Cable.
Please Watch the videos below on the Mini Hearth Formicarium, this video will show some of the common features of Tar Heel Ants formicaria and the proper placement of the accessories included: