*** This XL Pioneer comes with a Min Hearth XL - For 2 days, 11/27-11/28, the Pioneer XL is on sale and comes with an XL Mini Hearth (same as the Black Friday Special that sold out early). ***
***PLEASE NOTE: This will NOT arrive in time for the Christmas holidays as the build time for the Pioneer is much too long for that option at the time of this sale. We do have some available on our Holiday Sales Pages (link here) that can be shipped out quicker to meet those deadlines."
The Pioneer XL is a large ant habitat from Tar Heel Ants. This "long" formicarium features white, sand-coated interior is intended for maturing colonies to mature colonies. Each Pioneer XL formicarium comes with three levels of chambers for medium to large species and four levels for small.
The Pioneer XL is 40% larger than the standard Pioneer.
Watch the video below for an overview of the original Pioneer habitat. See photos accompanying this product for more recent versions.
- Dimenions: 16" x 4" x 4" Nest and Foraging Area
- Top-mounted foraging area
- Removable vent optional
- Optional foraging area styles
- Interior nest options: Stalactites, No Stalactites, Embedded Petrified Wood Stones
- email email@example.com to discuss your designs
- 4 Large Water Towers (Screen covered apparatus inside habitat for humidity)
- 4 Nestmates
- Hand-molded nest chambers using methods and materials developed in house for molding sand-coated chambers.
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
Brief Q&A that may explain some options for this formicarium:
- What's the difference with Museum glass?
Museum Glass gives a 99% glare reduction versus standard glass. It is also called "invisible glass" and is purely a cosmetic option for our viewing. It is money well spent if you plan on doing many videos and/or photos.
- What does add a second side mean...glass on back?
Second side: The second side of the Pioneer nest adds an additional side to the opposite "main" viewing side. This is the same size but of course a different design but similar to the main side. This side also comes with magnets and glass attached.
- Are they expandable...so if my colony is successful, can a second Pioneer be attached by tubing port(s)?
Expandable nest? YES! The Pioneer comes with a side port that is 3/8"(13mm) diameter. You can attach tubing to this port and connect other habitats.
- I'm getting the smaller sp. of Pogonomyrmex, but assume Large would still be best "classification" for design?
Pogonomyrmex spp. in general are medium/large ants. I would recommend a medium sized nest for them because the chambers and tunnels for the Pioneer are larger on average than some of our other nests.
***Please NOTE! This formicarium, like all of our other formicaria, are hand-made-to-order. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicaria, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as we can but as volume of orders picks up during the busy seasons (November through January and May to August/September) we cannot meet our normal quoted shipping times. Please order in advance if possible to give us time to get your formicaria shipped in time to meet your needs. The Pioneer will take between 4-6 weeks to complete during normal business periods, and longer during peak seasons.