*****Due to the size of the open chambers, this formicarium is considered a small to medium sized formicarium and can hold an estimated 1,000 to 2,000 medium sized ants, larger species such as Camponotus and Formica up to 1,000 (again, approximately)*****
The Atrium is a new ant habitat (formicarium) from Tar Heel Ants. It features a 4x4x3 nestblock with 2 levels and an attached 4x4x3 foraging area via magnetic connection. A painted base holds the two units together and provides stability during moves.
The Atrium is intended to provide additional opportunities for viewing and lighting that will assist in capturing videos and images. It maintains the privacy required by ants, humidity and drinking water through our proprietary water towers and nestmates, and offers connection ports on both the nest and foraging area for further expansion.
***When comparing to other Tar Heel Ants formicaria, the Atrium is larger (available nest space) than the Casita and would be in between the Casita and Nucleus III in terms of nest space. The foraging space is equal to that of the Fortress and Casita. The Atrium has one 3/8" and one 1/2" port for expansion as a standard feature (additional ports available upon request).
- 4x4x3 nestblock
- 4x4x3 foraging area
- Alate Window (top viewing area)
- 3 magnetically attached glass panels/ 3 sides for viewing
- Open-style chambers with spacious caverns and optional decor (see drop down options)
- Painted Base
- Nestmate and Nestmate Port
- XL Water Tower
- Optional Decor
- Optional Museum Glass
- Type III Material, our hardest material (sand-coated chambers)
Museum Glass - The museum glass would cover all three sides and the Alate Window (top panel) as well
Mini Hearth Addition- This option allows for a discounted purchase of a Mini Hearth formicarium to start off your queen or colony in. Please use the comments field during checkout to enter in preferences for your Mini Hearth. All options (not including Glow material - $10 additional) for Mini Hearth are included. To view Mini Hearth options click here.
Recommended Species Types -
All Medium and Large Ants (except ants that grow fungus farms) especially Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, "honey pot" ant species, and Camponotus spp. Each of these species would benefit from this nest design as follows (this is not an all-inclusive list):
- Honey Pot Ants - Spacious chambers that give repletes room to hang from the ceiling, yet not enough room for them to be harmed during a fall. This design is similar to our Hearth formicaria line in that regard.
- Pogonomymrex occidentalis - The upper level gives a dry area to store seeds. Connections between the two levels inside the formicarium nest are a sandy, rough texture. This is different than the smooth "ladders" in our other formicaria where these ants spend time "learning" to climb.
- Camponotus spp. - Larger ants typically, our colonies have always utilized the ceilings of formicaria to hang upside-down. This design provides two larger 4x4 caverns for this activity and 4 viewing sides to view these ants hanging from.