Additional Casita Deluxe Features:
- 2 Water Towers (one on each side - $10)
- Museum Quality Box ($65)
- Museum Glass ($30 value)
- Comes with Mini Hearth Formicarium Included (w/ museum glass-leave other options choices in comments box. ($30)
- THA Liquid Feeder, Mini Liquid Feeder, Feeding dish ($12)
Standard Casita Features:
- Nest Block Size 4x4x4 inches (100mm x 100mm x 100mm)
- Foraging Area Size 4x4x4 inches (100mm x 100mm x 100mm)
- Two (or three) viewable nest areas (Adjacent sides)
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area (magnetic top for Casita Deluxe)
- Attached Foraging Area
- Water Tower
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Watch video here: Nestmate Video
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
View the Standard Casita formicarium here
***Note: The Casita Deluxe package is not a larger version of the Casita but rather deluxe packaging of features/options/additions.
The Casita (2016) Formicarium is a compact formicarium intended for small to medium-sized ant colonies. Tar Heel Ants 2016 version of the Casita features removable glass panels (optional museum glass additional), a triple-action hydration system (with the option for a fourth using nestmates), professionally carved Ytong nest, and much more. The Casita is one of our oldest and most improved formicarium designs at Tar Heel Ants.
What makes the Casita Different? The Casita nest area covers two (or three using options) adjacent sides. This is currently the only nest we offer at www.tarheelants.com that includes this configuration. The orginal Casita was the fist formicarium released with a gravity well system. This feature allows for water to be added through a tiny tube on the side into a hidden reservoir. The water then flows downwards and outwards from the well aided by gravity and the natural wicking action of the absorbent Ytong stone. The Casita, at 4” x 8”x 4” in total size (WxHxL) is great for situations where saving space is a priority.
What comes with the Casita? The Casita (2016) nest block, glass panels with magnets, attached foraging area, rubber stopper for connection ports, nestmates (optional), and hydration tool (blunt-tipped syringe).
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
***Please note: Ordering the formicarium on this page you are ordering a hand-made-to-order formicarium. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicarium, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as possible. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Piece of Haven etc.) are shipped within 7-14 days (sometimes much sooner) while other larger formicaria such as the Pioneer and Pinnacle take 3-4 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest. If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of the expediting service and email us at email@example.com for more information about this option.