Ants For Sale
There is now an additional ant species, Camponotus discolor, that is available for shipping in the eastern U.S. through Tar Heel Ants. Click here to see the available states that we can ship Camponotus discolor to. (note: these are only legal to ship with proper permits, which we have obtained).
(Pogonomyrmex occidentalis remains the only ant species legal to ship across the lower 48 states state lines without a permit. Florida excluded. There is now an additional ant species, Formica subsericea, that is available for from Tar Heel Ants to most of the lower 48 states (with the exception of Florida).
PLEASE NOTE: All Colonies on our website come with a queen, and any workers from this queen are her workers (non-boosted) unless specifically stated otherwise. The queens and colonies soldat this time are not boosted colonies.
NOW AVAILABLE New Queens and New Founding Colonies For The 2021 Season.
Click on the photo below to shop the different colony sizes we have available currently. Prices are as follows (these are estimated sizes, exact sizes may vary slightly).
*Photo By Alex Wild
Other recommended products with Pogonomyrmex occidentalis...
Watch Our newest video on Pogonomyrmex occidentalis here:
May 2021 Update: Due to serious health issues covering the globe with the transmission of the Coronavirus our storefront will be closed to the public until further notice. These are the options for obtaining ants from our store:
1. Online ordering - Note: Only NC residents can receive any species other than Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, Formica subsericea (black field ants), Camponotus castaneus, Camponotus discolor, and Camponotus chromaiodes* from us in the mail. If you live in North Carolina we can ship any of the ants listed on this page. If you live outside of NC and live in the lower 48 states (excluding Florida) we can only ship Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, Formica subsericea (fewer states, but including Florida), or Camponotus castaneus (please check ordering pages for states we can ship to). Please see the product pages using the above links for all terms and locations for shipping ants or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
*For 2nd year colonies of Camponotus chromaiodes, we have obtained permits and have a very limited amount of these colonies for sale. We have permits for these ants to ship to any state they are native to according to Antwiki.com. Contact us via email, supplies are very limited.
2. CURBSIDE PICKUP - We will take your order, move your ants into a habitat, pack them in a box along with any other accessories, and place them outside once you arrive for you to pickup outside the door. Call us or email us to arrange this service: 919-348-3642 or email@example.com.
****For all other ants besides Pogonomyrmex occidentalis and those previously mentioned, we can ship inside the state of North Carolina ONLY. Please do not contact us for inquiries about shipping outside the state OR country. Federal and state laws prohibit the transport of reproductive queens outside the state without a permit. We abide by our local laws 100% in this activity and reserve the right to refuse this service to anyone should concerns arise. Proof of residence may be required.****
***Contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (919-348-3642 - no text messages please) to discuss ant sales. Please make an appointment to come by our Raleigh location.***
May 2021 Colonies currently available:
Camponotus chromaiodes available in Now and with permits we can ship to the following states:
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Wisonsin.
These are 2nd year colonies. Prices $90, ranging from 8-15 workerss plus brood.
Camponotus castaneus - Available NOW!
2nd year colonies, Queen with first workers and pupae (1-3 workers, 6-8 pupae) available. $110.
SOLD OUT UNTIL END OF SUMMER 2021.
Formica subsericea colony - Founded in 2019 and 2020 - Currently have between 4-6 workers or 20-30 workers, pupae, larvae, eggs. $60 or $100. Recommended habitats : Mini Hearth, Mini Labyrinth, Fallen Fortress, Palladium. Some colonies that have recently come out of diapause will ship with no brood.
Please read the rules of sales regarding these colonies below before contacting us.
Tar Heel Ants owner, Mack Pridgen, has been involved in raising queen ants and researching new methods and habitats for over 9 years. The colonies listed here for adoption are all from locally collected queens and small colonies. We follow all state and federal regulations for the collection and sale of the colonies listed on these pages. Tar Heel Ants has also gone a step further to ensure that colonies and queens sold or "adopted" out are in the best condition possible and only sell thriving colonies and queens in good health.
Approval was received by the NC department of Agriculture for local sales and shipping (within North Carolina) in 2011. Since then we have been researching queen ant care and have developed our care regiment from our experiences raising local species. Our focus is on local species such as Camponotus chomraiodes, Camponotus castaneus, Aphaenogaster lamellidens, Aphenogaster fulva, Aphaenogaster rudis, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Monomorium minimum, Camponotus pennsylvanicus and many others! We will be provide a maintenance and care sheet with your purchase.
1. Buyers must be 18. A parent or guardian can accompany you, but North Carolina ID is required at the time of the exchange.
2. Ants are shipped through approved means only. Currently this is FedEx or USPS (outside of North Carolina). Rates vary with the service agreed upon. We will NOT ship ants if we suspect (due to weather forecasts or our own judgement) that the ants will not survive the transport!
3. NEW: You may pick ants up at our store in Raleigh, NC at 3209 Gresham Lake Rd. Unit 125. Please call to make an appointment 919-348-3642 for curbside pickup.
3. Identification of the species will be provided (we will not just sell you "ants", but will provide a colony history if desired and species name).
4. Buyers must follow all state and federal guidelines about transporting reproductive ants. This may vary from state to state. Once purchased, it is up to you to follow federal guidelines about transporting ants. In North Carolina it is not allowed to transport ants out of the state without a proper permit and it is also not allowed to bring ants into other states without permits as well.
5. Never release captive colonies back into the wild. The main reason for this suggestion is to protect the intended natural environment (their natural home) from the introduction of harmful pathogens or pests that joined the colony during captivity (your house).
6. Ants must be cared for to the best of your ability. We are available for advice on care at email@example.com or you can browse topics on our blog on the subject.
7. Fees for adopting are to cover time spent raising, collecting, and for food expense during their time with us. In some cases the habitat of the colony will be included in the price. This detail will be included with the listing under each colony.