***For April the Casita comes with 2 nestmates at no additional cost (normally $10)
The Casita Formicarium is a compact formicarium intended for small to medium-sized ant colonies. Tar Heel Ants Casita features removable glass panels (optional museum glass additional), a triple-action hydration system (when nestmates are included), professionally carved Ytong nest, and much more.
What makes the Casita Different? The Casita nest area covers two (or three using options) adjacent sides. The original Casita was the first Tar Heel Ants formicarium released with a gravity well hydration system. This feature allows for water to be added into a hidden reservoir through a small opening on the side. The water then wicks downwards and outwards from the wells location aided by gravity and the natural absorption action of the Ytong stone. The Casita, at 4” x 8”x 4” in total size (WxHxL) is great for situations where saving space is a priority.
What comes with the Casita? The Casita nest block, two glass panels with magnets, attached foraging area, rubber stopper for connection ports, nestmates (optional), and hydration tool (blunt-tipped syringe).
- Nest Block Size 4x4x4 inches (100mm x 100mm x 100mm)
- Foraging Area Size 4x4x4 inches (100mm x 100mm x 100mm)
- Two (or three) viewable nest areas (Adjacent sides)
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- Attached Foraging Area
- Water Tower x2
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Optional: Glass Type (Standard or Museum Quality)
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Watch video here: Nestmate Video
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
3-sided notations: There are a few major differences with a 3-sided habitat. One, the gravity well is not included as part of the design due to space limitations. The other major difference is the addition of the optional 3rd water tower. For more humidity-loving species this may be of help but for ants that prefer dryer nests such as Formica spp. and Camponotus spp. this is not necessary. You can always choose the option but leave the 3rd well empty.
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
***Please note: Ordering the formicarium on this page you are ordering a hand-made-to-order formicarium. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicarium, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as possible. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Piece of Haven etc.) are shipped within 7-14 days (sometimes much sooner) while other larger formicaria such as the Pioneer and Pinnacle take 3-4 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest. If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of the expediting service and email us at email@example.com for more information about this option.