Watch this video on the Phalanx:
What makes the Phalanx Unique?
The Phalanx is a formicarium from Tar Heel Ants for small to medium sized ant colonies. These are great for beginning ant keepers because they require little less maintenance due to the inclusion of large water towers where water levels are clearly visible. Water is then added from outside the habitat so as to avoid disturbing the colony when hydrating your formicarium. The Phalanx formicarium (also known as an antfarm) is the next step up beyond the Mini Hearth formicarium design from Tar Heel Ants. This nest has many options many options for fine-tuning the habitat to your ant colonies needs, please email questions about the Phalanx to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Large Species- 2 levels per side (see photos)
All other species- 3 levels per side (see photos)
- 3" x 6" (75mm x 150mm) single or double-sided nest
- Multiple Options for Foraging Area decor and positioning
- Formicarium material is designed to hold the most destructive ants (called "Type II" here on our website)
- Glass Type (Standard or Museum)
- White sand interior or golden-brown sand interior
- 2 Large Water Towers
- Nestmates optional - Watch video here: Nestmate Video
- Optional tunnel and chamber size (choose small, medium or large species)
- Water towers can be used for allowing light in from below. This gives a unique look at your colony.
- Foraging Area is either 4x8x4 or special order 3x6x2.5
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- Attached Foraging Area
- Water Tower
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Optional: Glass Type (Standard or Museum Quality)
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Watch video here: Nestmate Video
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
Watch this video of a Monomorium minimum colony inside their Phalanx formicairum.
A Phalanx owner's video of their small Dorymyrmex insanus colony:
For more information and to order the Phalanx with the expansion nests please see the product pages for these Phalanx options. Click here to order a Phalanx with one additional nest for expansion.
What comes in the box?
The Phalanx formicarium, foraging area, stoppers, syringe for hydration, and business card.
The Phalanx can come in a variety of configurations for expansion purposes. The single nest design can have either a top-mounted foraging area with magnets connecting the nest and foraging area, or a side-connected foraging area with magnets also connecting the two. The side-foraging style for a double-sided would be mounted in the middle of the short-side of the foraging area while the single-sided Phalanx would be mounted on a short-side corner (see main photo).
The Phalanx can come with additional nests for expansions but must be ordered together for them to "key" properly to one another. Since these items are handmade they must be crafted together in order to eventually be used as one formicarium. In the event of additional nests being ordered you must choose between the Phalanx nests fitting together side-by-side or 2 or more of them connecting to the foraging area via separate tubing (and then each nest connected via tubing or not at all). This part may seem complicated, but with a short email exchange of ideas it is easily planned. Our email is email@example.com. Up to 4 nests can be connected to the same 4x8x4(standard for the Phalanx) foraging area, 2 on each short side. These nests can then be connected to other formicaria and foraging areas on opposite ends. See below for an example:
***Please read this NOTE! This formicarium, like all of our other formicaria, are hand-made-to-order. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicaria, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as we can but as volume of orders picks up during the busy seasons (November through January and May to August/September) we cannot meet our normal quoted shipping times. Please order in advance if possible to give us time to get your formicaria shipped in time to meet your needs. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Piece of Haven etc.) are shipped within 7-10 days from the time of ordering while other medium-sized to larger formicaria such as the Phalanx, Pioneer, Nucleus and Pinnacle take 2-3 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest (May thru September, Nov-Dec). If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of our expediting service. This can be added to your order by adding 20% to the price of the formicarium you are ordering. Charges can be added using the Expediting Fee Option on the Additional Charges Page of our website.