The Nucleus habitats combines many features Tar Heel Ants has integrated into our ant habitats (formicaria). The nest has a 360 degree view (4-sided) and with the aid of magnets can be disassembled and easily cleaned for maintenance or reuse. We have incorporated features such as water towers, gravity wells, magnetically removable glass and foraging areas, substrate coated chambers, and more. The Nucleus 360 (Large) is our largest formicarium available for customization here on the website. We can make larger habitats by special order.
***Time to complete a Nucleus 360 is 4-6 weeks. Our busy season is May, June, July and November and December. During these times expect 6 weeks minimum for completion.***
Videos showing the Nucleus 360 habitat with a large Formica subsericea colony. This colony has been (and still is) on display in the "teach me" store in Raleigh, North Carolina since spring of 2014. If you are ever in Raleigh please stop by and support our efforts to bring ant keeping to the public.
Watch the following video of a maturing Aphaenogaster fulva feeding in the brood chamber of their Nucleus habitat:
- 4 sided-nest with your choice of tunnel/chamber sizes (small, medium, large species)
- Optional Foraging Area box (Standard or "Museum" grade)
- 2 Gravity Wells with ports accessed on top of Nucleus 360. What is a gravity well? Click here
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- 4 Magnetically removable sides and foraging area (complete dissassembly possible for easy cleaning)
- 4 Water Towers (two on each size standard)
- Stainless steel mesh vent in foraging area
- Optional: Glass Type (Standard or Museum Quality)
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- Sand-coated chambers giving your ants multiple surfaces for the various stage of development.
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
- Painted Side Panels
- Non-absorbent base
- Optional - Sectioned Habitat *** This options makes the Nucleus 360 (Large) expandable by sectioning into 8 compartments. See main photos.
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos: