What makes the a Nucleus formicarium unique?
The Nucleus is a double-sided formicarium from Tar Heel Ants. The Nucleus formicaria have a number of features that make them different than other formicaria products. Features such as a two-sided nest, removable glass panels on both sides, substrate-coated chambers, nestmates watering system and water towers, magnetically detachable foraging area, and professionally carved Ytong nest make the Nucleus unique. This nest is recommended for all species and sizes of ants. If you feel you have ants that need specialized habitats please contact us for a discussion on modifications at email@example.com.
Watch this short video of a 1 year old Camponotus laevigatus colony in a 4x6 Nucleus:
Features of 4x6 Nucleus:
- Nest Block Size 4x6x4 inches (100mm x 150mm x 100mm)
- Foreaging Area Size 5x6x4 inches (125mm x 150mm x 100mm)
- Opposite sides connected by central access tunnel
- Acrylic friction-fitting lid for foraging area
- Magnetically removable foraging area
- Water Towers (one on each size standard)
- Stainless steel mesh vent
- Optional: Glass Type (Standard or Museum Quality)
- Professionally carved Ytong nest
- Nestmates are optional. What is a nestmate? Click here to find out
- Choice of stone color(all-natural) and side panel color (premium acrylic paints)
- Tunnels and chambers carved to your size specifications (see drop-down menu)
- Choice of foraging area decor
- Magnetically removable glass
- Sand-coated chambers giving your ants multiple surfaces for the various stage of development.
- 1/2" side entry port for connection to other habitats
- Painted Side Panels
- PVC Board Base
Watch the following YouTube playlist for more information on Tar Heel Ants formicarium options:
Here are some links to the individual options videos:
What comes in the box?
The Nucleus formicarium (including glass panels and magnets), stopper for 1/2" port, nestmate tubing (optional), syringe for hydration, round feeding dish, Nucleus Formicarium User Guide (NEW!), business card.
Using natural dyes from the earth, Tar Heel Ants has developed a method of dying Ytong called "flash dying" that provides an even and consistent color to your nest.
Desert: Features a natural sand-coated foraging area with sparse desert style rocks and plants (artificial).
Desert Stones: Our uniquely casted and colored stones (100% ant-safe materials) inset into a foraging area with white and golden-brown mixed sand
Desert Mountain: NEW! Desert rocks, lots of them! Maybe a plant or two as well...
Rocky woodland: Woodland style plants with several rocks and sticks
Forest underbrush: Heavier on the plants(artifical) with 1-2 rocks.
Premium: Using high quality treated wood, decorative rocks, and other decor. Additional cost is due to higher quality materials and more time in preparation of the foraging area.
Standard Glass: Standard Frame Glass, 2.5 mm thick.
Museum Glass: Reduces reflection by over 95%. Achieves over 97% light transmission to enhance colors, brightness and contrast levels. 2.5mm thick.
Small, Medium, Large options. Decision should be based on intended species size.
Above: 4x8 Nucleus with 2 nestmates (tubing with stoppers) on either side
***Please NOTE! This formicarium, like all of our other formicaria, are hand-made-to-order. Planning, preparation, and a lot of care go into every single formicaria, every single order. We strive to get your orders completed as soon as possible. Most small formicaria (founding formicaria plus some like the Casita, Piece of Haven etc.) are shipped within 7-14 days (sometimes much sooner) while other larger formicaria such as the Pioneer and Pinnacle take 3-4 weeks or longer when our volume is heaviest. If you have a need for fast delivery we offer you to take advantage of the expediting service and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this option.